know people in .ut.us?

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 16:40:45 -0700 (MST)

On 18 Jun 2003, Craig White wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 11:56, der.hans wrote:
> > moin, moin,
> >
> > Orrin Hatch really needs to go down for this one.
> >
> > http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/06/18/download.music.ap/index.html
> >
> > I'm opposed to illegally copying music, but I'm even more opposed to making
> > it legal for corporations to break into my computer.
>
> Why do I get the impression that some politicians will eradicate our
> freedoms for the benefit of the large corporations. I was incensed when
> I read the article in today's Arizona Republic - where Hatch was quoted
> as saying that he want's to make it legal for them to 'blow up
> computers'.

His comment today:
"?I made my comments at yesterday?s hearing because I think that industry
is not doing enough to help us find effective ways to stop people from
using computers to steal copyrighted, personal or sensitive materials. I
do not favor extreme remedies ? unless no moderate remedies can be found.
I asked the interested industries to help us find those moderate
remedies.?"

The part that I find most heinous is that this is not
coming from some wing-nut.  He's the chairman of the
Senate Judiciary Committee.  That means he's supposed
to be roughly the 10th most level-headed rationalist
lawman in the country (behind the Supremes).  I do
not understand why he is not being char-broiled on
the front of every newspaper in the country.  Even
the government does not have the right to trash my
property without due process, and yet he is suggesting
that we give that right to the RIAA.  Every newspaper
in the country should be calling for his impeachment.
I'm all in favour of free speech, and I think that
public service positions should only be open to those
who do not hold such extreme views.

Perhaps we should also start extending the "justifiable"
laws.  He jaywalked in front of my car, so I ran
him over.  Justifiable assault - he was breaking the
law and obstructing my lawful progress down the
motorway.

  I think that a servant of the enemy would look fairer,
  and feel fouler.
    - Frodo Baggins