Need Knoppix/Debian/KDE setup help

Voltage Spike plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:46:06 -0700

--zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 09:44:14PM -0700, Mark Phillips wrote:

> 1. Screen saver - The original installation only came with 2 screeen=20
> savers - blank and random. After poking around I ended up doing an=20
> apt-get install for xscreensaver 4.05. It seems to have installed ok - I=
=20
> now have it as an option in the KDE control center along with blank and=
=20
> random. When I click on setup, the dialog appears, and I can get it to=20
> operate properly from here. However, when I leave the KDE control panel=
=20
> (after selecting Xscreensaver and clicking on apply) and wait for the=20
> Xscreensaver to work, all I get is a blank screen. How do I get=20
> XScreensaver to work automatically? I can launch it from K - Debain -=20
> Lock Screen as well.

You may want to look into the "screen saver" of the X server (distinct
from xscreensaver):

`xset q`

=2E..
Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  600    cycle:  600
=2E..

The values are in seconds, so the X server on my system will blank the
screen after 10 minutes of inactivity.  You may disable this behavior
with `xset s off`.

Note that I seem to recall an option in the KDE control panel
(probably power settings) that allows you to adjust this value.

--=20
                                                           Voltage Spike
      ,,,
     (. .)