Email hosed - bet I'm not the only one!

Jeremy C. Reed plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 13:40:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Lynn David Newton wrote:

>   J>  define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.west.cox.net')

>   o I've put exactly the line both responders suggested
>     in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
>
>   o I've run the command found at the top of that file
>
>     m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
>
>   o This did not result in anything recognizeable to me
>     being done to sendmail.cf, but as we all know,
>     sendmail.cf was written by a Martian on steroids,
>     and is not intended to be groked by ordinary
>     mortals.

I don't know why that SMART_HOST was ignored. Maybe you can compare the
new sendmail.cf with the old version. If it didn't change, then I guess
some macro defining SMART_HOST is missing.

Look in that sendmail.cf file. There should be something like:
# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DSsmtp.west.cox.net

>   o I stopped and started sendmail.

Also, on several Linux boxes, I have used the following for the
sendmail.mc file to send all (even local) mail through the mailhub:

OSTYPE(linux)
define(`MAIL_HUB', mail.server.name.here)
MAILER(smtp)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/