Email hosed - bet I'm not the only one!

Lynn David Newton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:58:18 -0700

This may seem like a dumb question, but where do I set my SMTP server.
(Using RH 8.0)

I would be very much surprised if I am the only person on this list to be
affected by this problem:

This morning I just happened to notice that my mail queue was backing up.
After a little looking around, I read an email message from Cox sent a
couple of days ago saying that starting today they were going to "improve"
service with a filter that would block all email sent to 3rd party outgoing
SMTP mail servers. Huh??? My mail has always gone out, and as far as I know
I have been using smtp.west.cox.net, and have no reason not to do so. (Not
yet, anyhow.) But I suppose I could be wrong. I didn't have to do anything
special that I remember to set it up two years ago when I started using Cox.
It just all worked.

I can send mail from my iMac because I have Entourage set up to use the
proper SMTP address. (I've not bothered yet to configure it to send using
Xemacs VM on the Mac.) I don't know how the system knows at a lower level to
send it to the right place. As far as I understand, the Mac uses sendmail to
deliver mail. Whatever the case, when I send mail off the iMac, as I am
about to do with this message, it goes out just fine. Meanwhile, I'm
receiving incoming email just fine.

And of course, if I call Cox and complain bitterly, they'll tell me they
don't support Linux.

--
Lynn Newton
Phoenix, AZ