Good Bye Gnome, Hello KDE, I hope

David Huerta plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:17:06 -0700

Well, as it's been mentioned, with the exception of Knoppix, Debian can
be somewhat difficult to install, and you can't use Red Hat rpms too
easily on Debian.  There is also the lack of certain drivers and other
components, which may require additional installation, although I hear
"apt-get" makes this easier in some way in Debian.  Also, Red Hat, SuSe,
Mandrake and the like use nicely polished point-and-click methods of
configuring your system for things like printers, modems, TV tuner
cards, etc.  With Debian and Slackware, however, you'd be using
configuration files and the command line a lot more.  This can be a
steeper learning curve from a person used to Windows or Mac OS.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us] On Behalf Of
Thanasis Kinias
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 11:37 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Good Bye Gnome, Hello KDE, I hope

scripsit David Huerta:
> Eh, somehow I get the impression you're not quite ready for Debian
> yet.  We'll work on making you a h4rdc0r3 Linux user in the mean time.

I realize you're not entirely serious, but I am curious why you would
say someone would be `not quite ready for Debian yet' but might be for
RH, for example.  Assuming one has recourse to support for figuring out
the drivers to set up in the installation (or uses Knoppix to install?),
I can't imagine why running a Debian desktop box would be any more of a
trial for a new Linux user than any other distro...

--
Pax vobiscum; pax cum omnibus.

Thanasis Kinias
tkinias at asu.edu