LDAP vs NIS

Austin Godber plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 18:26:50 -0700

Hello,
	I have a smallish network of PCs (15 Win2k and 10 Linux mixed distro).  I have
my samba domain already installed with samba 2.2 (you probably remember deleting
my whining about roaming profiles) and am looking for a solution to do network
authentication for the linux boxes.  I already knew of NIS so I was going to do
that, but then I realized that it could be done with LDAP as well and am now
considering that.  Anyone have tips?

	NIS seems a little old and from what I have heard a little touchy.  NIS+ sounds
like its a beast.  So I think I will give LDAP a shot.

Austin