Multiple OSes, 1 Mozilla profile?

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
13 Jun 2003 06:34:27 -0700

On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 19:52, Austin Godber wrote:
> > I wouldn't necessarily recommend roaming profiles as Liberty is
> > suggesting - at least not right away because there are a lot of
> > considerations for using roaming profiles that I'm not gonna start
> > getting into here.
>
> I have just had the recent pleasure of converting a Win2k domain to a
> samba 2.2 domain with roaming profiles.  Things went smoothly with the
> exception of roaming profiles.  (NOTE: we weren't using much of the
> functionality of a win2k domain so it was possible for us to switch to
> samba without loosing much functionality).  I screwed up about 5 things
> in the process of ironing out the trouble with roaming profiles ... I
> will point out a few of them:
>
> o logon.bat was not readable by users thus the times between client and
> server were not synchronized (a must for roaming profiles).
>
> o profiles from old domain were not removed from existing client
> machines and identical user names caused cross contamination of new
> domain and old domain profiles (this was not thoroughly tested, but I
> believe this to be the case, I believe there is a significant difference
> in the handling of profiles in this situation by Windows and Samba)
>
> In the end I was down to having two sets of machines ... identical Win2k
> SP3 machines, very similar hardware (why would it matter) one set would
> handle profiles properly and one would not push or pull profiles from
> the server (actually would pull the first time if there was no
> preexisting profile).  The only difference I noticed was that in the set
> that didn't work the hostnames (in various places) were in CAPS and the
> other lowercase.  However, network dumps of logons didn't reveal any
> difference in the hostnames sent over the network (granted this was
> rather error prone, inspecting these and since I am not familiar with
> the protocols I could have missed lots of things).
>
> In the end I reinstalled the Win2k OS to SP3 on the nonworking set of
> hosts, typed the hostnames in lower case and they worked.
>
> What am I trying to say? Other than getting that off my chest as if it
> were some dark secret.  I think that roaming profiles probably work fine
> under certain conditions (for instance if you built the network from the
> ground up and were careful), but are a bit more trouble in other cases.

----
To make roaming profiles work properly - you have to have a fairly
thorough understanding of the entire windows processes. This being a
Linux message base, I'm not sure how this relates.

I have gotten it to work fine on many of my client networks and it isn't
very difficult. I am suspecting that you never 'released' the machines
from their workstation trust account status to the previous domain
before you tried to bind them to the new SAMBA controlled domain.

Craig