Good Bye Gnome, Hello KDE, I hope

Jeremy C. Reed plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:10:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Tom Achtenberg wrote:

> Actually I've tried Linux on several boxes with the same disappointing
> results.  The present one is a 3 year old AMD K6-2 500 with 196k RAM.
> I forget the video card but my son was using it for his games which ran
> it harder than anything I've ever done in Linux.

I happily use and setup Linux and *BSDs on old 486-66, Pentium 166 and
other old under-powered systems. I rarely use KDE or GNOME on old systems,
because lighter-weight window managers, like IceWM and Blackbox work fine.

I don't agree that Linux pushes hardware more; it is more efficient, but
if you want you can take advantage of the hardware better.

(As for games and video cards, I don't know. I haven't had the chance to
play any "real" games under any OS.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/