Web server on Cox

R Melder at SPiN Internet Media plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 18:40:42 -0700

Hmmm... I may be mistaken, but if your browser defaults to sending the
request to [ipaddress]:80, and Cox blocks port 80, then won't your =
request
get blocked?

Just curious.

=20
 ..:: Randy Melder ::..
 602-279-0135 - www.spininternetmedia.com
=20

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us] On Behalf Of W. E.
Brooks
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 6:04 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Web server on Cox

If you change the port that the Apache Web Server uses to 8090 then the =
url
to get to your server would be: http://www.yoursite.com:8090 If you =
don't
like making everyone include the port number in the url then that can be
avoided by using ZoneEdit. ZoneEdit (www.zoneedit.com) provides a web
forwarding service that will allow visitors to access your site by using
www.yoursite.com. ZoneEdit will forward all web hits for =
www.yoursite.com to
www.yoursite.com:8090. For this to work, you must own the domain name
yoursite.com. ZoneEdit's forwarding service is free if your web-site =
does
not have much activity.

W. E. Brooks
Webknowledge Consultants

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 14:49, =
plug-discuss-request@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
wrote:
> From: Kurt Granroth <kurt@granroth.org>
> To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
> Subject: Re: Web server on Cox
> Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:07:49 -0700
>=20
> On Tuesday 10 June 2003 01:28 pm, Virgil Silhanek wrote:
> > I've recently upgraded and am running Mandrake 9.1 now.  I seem to=20
> > have the Apache server working fine, but am running off of Cox cable =

> > modem and believe they are blocking me.  Is there any way around=20
> > that?
> >
> > I really don't want to do more with the web site than post quite a=20
> > few pictures(more than the 10mb cox gives) so my friends and family=20
> > in Iowa can view them.
>=20
> The simple solution is to just run Apache on a higher port.  Cox=20
> usually only
> blocks the standard ports like 80 and 25.  If you have Apache running =
on,=20
> say, port 8090, then it won't be blocked.  This isn't feasible if you
expect=20
> random people to go to your website, but if your audience is all =
friends
and=20