MS Access

George Gambill plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 10:02:28 -0700

Devin,

I have been playing around with CodeWeavers CrossOver Office ($54.95).  =
The
new release (2.0) seems to run MS Access as the previous release was =
not
considered to do so reliably.

   ST. PAUL, MN-(April 22nd, 2003)-CodeWeavers, Inc., the leading=20
   Windows=AE-to-Linux=AE software developer, announced today the =
release
   of CrossOver Office? Version 2.0, now enabling Linux users to run=20
   Microsoft Office XP*, ... snip ... and Microsoft Access without the=20
   need for a Windows emulator or OS license.=20

I haven't used it with Access (I use FoxPro) but have had very good =
results
with Word, Excel (etc.).  CrossOver office is very easy to install and

I have just started playing with Wine (free).  Per the CodeWeavers web =
site:
"CodeWeavers is the leading corporate backer of the Wine Project. Wine =
is an
open source software initiative that is systematically re-implementing =
the
Win32 API under Linux. Wine makes it possible for Linux PCs to run =
Windows
applications as if natively. We use our expertise in Wine to help our
customers leverage Windows technology in the Linux world."

I haven't found Wine to be as easy to install as CrossOver Office.  =
But, you
may be able to get MS Access running under Wine.

Hope this helps

George