Perpetual UDP shell ?

Jeremy C. Reed plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 11:44:54 -0700 (PDT)

On 7 Jun 2003, Bryce C wrote:

> That's exactly the problem. With packet loss and no error checking, that
> last c may be garbled and thus ignored by rm/bash. There's a reason SSH,
> telnet, http, etc are all on TCP and not UDP.

Back in the mid to late 1980's, I wrote a bunch of xmodem and BBS software
(in Turbo Pascal). I used simple checksums to verify the data before
acknowledging successful receipt (or complaining to resend). It would be
simple to add that to a UDP-based remote login tool.

But I don't see any advantage over using TCP and a regular SSH (or
SSL-telnet or kerberized telnet) even for some "extremely unreliable
connections such as a high altitude weather balloon communicating over
packet HAM radio." :)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/