First Analyst Impressed By SCO's 'Proof'

Fri, 6 Jun 2003 10:09:36 -0700 (MST)

Am 06. Jun, 2003 schw=E4tzte Alan Dayley so:

> It is not that scary, really.  Why?  Let's assume that some code really i=
s the same in Linux and Unix.  As far as I can gather from the article all =
SCO did was say "Look!  They are the same!"  That doesn't answer these ques=
tions:

> -Did the code come from a third party code base?
> -Did the code get put into Unix from Linux?
> -Did the code get put into Unix AND Linux by SCO/Caldera?
> -Did the code originate in BSD code that was already declared free of Uni=
x license restrictions a decade or so ago?

- When the problem was brought to light SCO said their customers are safe
and won't be affected by the 'violations'. Since the 'violations' are in th=
kernel, which is GPLd and SCO is still supporting the 'tainted' kernel it
would seem to me that the 'violations' have now been released under the GPL
or SCO is busting the GPL.

In any case, they need to release evidence or shut up. They can prove when
code made it into the kernel as Linus, Alan, et al sign the releases.
Holding back info such that the Linux community can't work to stop the
'violations' is avoiding a solution.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
# To us former windows users, linux IS an easter egg :) I cant remember
# how many times i said to myself "i can do that?" -- BoBB