which modem should I get

Rusty Carruth rustyc@user2.inficad.com
Tue, 14 Mar 100 17:22:21 -0700 (MST)

> On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 04:28:46PM -0700, der.hans wrote:
> > My question is simple to more experience users. I just need to know what
> > would be a good, easy to set up modem. Internal or External, brand and model
> > would be really helpful. I am brand new to linux.

Get an external.  You know its not Windwoes only (or you almost know that ;-),
('almost' because SOME idiot company will figure a way to make a serial
modem windwoes only!  I hate the ingenuity of some of these idiots!)

> For data, a USR/3Com.  Preferably with jumpers rather than plug-n-pray
> if possible.  For fax/voice, a Hayes Accura.  It supports class 2.0 fax
> and can tell the difference between a voice call and a fax call.  But
> they are out of business so you have to buy used.  :-(

Yeah, I like the USR as well.

I've also used (am using now, matter of fact) an external soundblaster
modem (or whatever they call them from SB - its at home and I'm not).

Course, it was trivial to set up because I'd already set the USR
up prior, so YMMV....

Isn't there a modem compatibility list like the printer list?
Well, lets start with the file:

	/usr/doc/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO

And, for a list of what modems work (by assuming that if there is a modem
config for it then it must work, right?) get:

 ftp://ftp.cc.gatech.edu/pub/people/gregh/modem-configs

That should get you going, I hope!

rusty

Oh, yeah, I had a zoom that worked ok too, but the settings were
different.  That settings url should be a real help!