Dummy lan question

Robert Ambrose plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 00:10:46 -0700 (MST)

Are you using IP addresses in the ping command?  When diagnosing a
problem, start simple and work you way forward one step at a time.  A ping
with an IP address is about as simple as you can get.

Also, make sure you get viable MAC address in the HWaddr field of the
ifconfig command for your interface. This tells you that the driver can
talk to the NIC.

If you think you have a route table problem and you have the iproute
package installed, try something like 'ip r g 192.168.1.x', where
192.168.1.x is the IP address you were trying to ping.  This command will
return the route the kernel selects to forward the packet.

rna