DSL Modem Question

Gilbert T. Gutierrez, Jr. plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 10:36:11 -0700

The Netgear and the Cisco 678 only support VPN pass through.  If you want an
endpoint that supports VPN termination, we always suggest Netopia.  Netopia
has the 4541.  It will terminate VPNs and work on ADSL.  Unfortunatly, the
Netgear and the Netopia only support G.Lite (G.992.2), G.DMT (G.992.1) and
T1.413 (ANSI ADSL DMT issue 2).  The Cisco 678 is the only box I have found
that supports both DMT and CAP.  The Cisco 678 if set up as routed will also
forward VPN traffic to an internal address.  I have forwarded both IPSec and
PPTP tunnels through Cisco 678s.

Gilbert

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Kevin
Brown
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 7:06 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: DSL Modem Question

Unfortunately I only have the 675 (hence why it doesn't work on the second
DSL
line) and the internal 2200 card.  I want to get rid of the PCI card, but
would
also like a replacement for the 675 since it doesn't support IP Sec and I
really
don't want to load work applications on my personal machines (Office XP,
Cisco
VPN, Outlook, etc...).  I'd rather keep those on my work machine, but
without
VPN I can't really telecommute and fix things remotely.

> A Cisco 678 will support both fine.  I looked at the Technical Specs for
the
> Netgear and did not see CAP listed as being supported
> (http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG814.asp?view=).
>
> Gilbert

Intel