Low level format

Kyle Faber plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:00:46 -0700

=09I have a client who has a nasty hacker problem.  I have reason to beli=
eve=20
that there is some sort of "sleeper" application inside some kind of hidd=
en=20
partition.  I came to this conclusion after seeing evidence of the hack=20
return on a repartitioned, formatted, disconnected machine.  The hacked u=
sers=20
returned, the machine begins to attempt to phone home.  There is no evide=
nce=20
of any hidden partitions using linux fdisk.

Any suggestions?  I have heard some form of the dd command can be used to=
=20
overwrite ALL information on this disk.  Anyone have any tips for that?  =
Or=20
any tips in general, I am tearing my hair out on this one.

Thanks a bunch!
--=20
Kyle Faber
Account Manager
EMR Internet
kyle@emr.net
623-581-0842 voice
623-582-9499 fax

**EMR Internet - Residential & Business Solutions for YOUR business! **

* Dial-up
* DSL
* Web-hosting
* Server Co-Location