Linux install hangs on Initio SCSI card.

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:05:31 -0400

Hello all:
I've just upgraded one of my systems with a Soyo KT333 Dragon Plus
motherboard.  It runs OK in an existing Red Hat installation, but I was
trying to install the newest Mandrake (9.1.)  This system happens to have two
SCSI devices (a CD and a Jaz drive) on an Initio-940 (or is it 941?) PCI SCSI
card, but the hard drives are EIDE.  The problem with the Mandrake install is
that it always hangs when it's trying to install the drivers for the Initio.
I've tried expert and text modes to no avail.  The same thing happens with
Red Hat 9.0.  I figure that it's probably that the installer is expecting the
SCSI controller to have hard drives on it.  Is there a parameter I can  give
it to force it to skip this driver on the install?  Perhaps I can install it
later.  I've noticed that the pre-existing redhat installation did have the
initio module loaded and running.  Many thanks for any advice you can give me.

Vaughn Treude
Nakota Software, Inc.
Custom Software Design and Development