OSS In the Office

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 13:11:56 -0700

I have two opposing tales to tell from two different companies with very
large employee bases.
1.  OpenSource and Shareware are specifically prohibited as there is
nobody to sue if a failure disrupts productivity or damages data.  Also,
by using OSS instead of contractually ($$$) supported software means
there is no liability on the part of the OSS provider for recovering
damages.

- and on the opposite end of the spectrum -

2.  Use whatever software you need to perform your job - just ensure you
are compliant with the licensing from the vendor.

I'm currently at company #2, and have a properly licensed installation
of Cygwin on my XP desktop.  One of my coworkers uses Linux and runs
VMWare (properly licensed) for the one Windows app he needs.

Company #1 was very enlightening as this mandate came from Computer
Security, part of Technology Risk Management, Legal Department.  Funny
thing was the sysadmins used sudo (OSS) on their AIX boxes for security
reasons.

George
-- =

Discover . . .         | Free Computer Security Information
        <=B7=B7=B7> Secure   | http://www.georgetoft.com/security
         Networking    | =

@http://georgetoft.com | Lock your box - keep your affairs private!