RESOLVED Re: Creating "Recipient List Suppressed" Email

Ed Skinner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 14:54:39 -0700

(Mostly for) Jeremy,
      Thanks for the pointers on sendmail which is decidedly NOT my area of
expertise. I don't plan on doing a lot of these kinds of mailings but it'll
be nice to clean up that "wart", nonetheless.
      As for the "mail" program, I presumed the behavior I am seeing is a
security feature (of sorts). Other than through command line options, it
doesn't appear that "mail" will let the user muck-about with the header
lines.
      To verify this, I ran a test. Here's the command I tried( as per your
earlier suggestion):

( echo "Reply-To: <eskinner>" ; echo "Subject: whatever" ; echo ; \
 echo "This is the body of the message" ) | mail eskinner

     And below here is the received message (with "> " inserted before each
line). Note the TWO (2) empty (except for "> " lines, the first of which
signals the end of the header. The "Reply-To" and "Subject" lines (from the
typed command above) come after that break, and fall in the body of the
message. Not what I want.

> From eskinner@gort.rytetyme.com Fri Apr 18 14:49:57 2003
> Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 14:49:57 -0700
> From: Ed Skinner <eskinner@gort.rytetyme.com>
> To: eskinner@gort.rytetyme.com

> Subject: whatever
>
> This is the body of the message

     But to agree with you, I remember that I *used* to be able to do this on
System V Unix. In fact, that was my first attempt on Linux but, as you can
see, it doesn't give the desired effect.
     Regardless, sendmail is giving me a "good enough" solution now and, with
your pointers, should be able to go all the way.
     Again, thanks for the help!

--
Ed Skinner, ed@flat5.net, http://www.flat5.net/