Unable to Change User Password RH8

Fri, 11 Apr 2003 14:29:41 -0700 (MST)

Am 11. Apr, 2003 schw=E4tzte George Gambill so:

> RedHat 8
>
> I login as root.
> Issue "startx".

OK, there's mistake one :). Seriously, though, please do not log into GUI
environments as root. Use su or sudo in places where you need to obtain roo=
or other privileges.

> In the GUI, I click  the RedHat > System Settings > Users and Groups
> Nothing happens.  The system returns to the desk top.

I'm not sure what RH is using.

passwd ggambill

Run that from the command line as root and you can change the passwd for th=
ggambill account. Run passwd without any arguments as ggambill and you can
change the passwd for ggambill. Careful: running passwd without any
arguments as root will change the passwd for root.

passwd is a standard *NIX command, so works places other than GNU/Linux.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  Keine Ahnung, was ich dir sagen soll,
#  keine Ahnung und keinen (.)plan. -- die Toten Hosen