[OT] Win2k Adv Svr

Bryce C plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
02 Sep 2002 19:32:03 -0700

I was upgrading the primary Linux server and taking it's parts and
upgrading the win2k server with them.  The problem has since been
resolved thanks to Adrian's idea and I just have to find a driver for a
Diamond Viper V550 PCI for win2k.  Anyway, NT and now win2k and probably
winxp, all rely on pre-installed/setup drivers for the controller cards
and if the controller is switched all of a sudden, winblows doesn't know
how to fullt boot.  The logo and everything is fine but when it's time
to start the GUI, bsod saying invalid boot device or something like
that.  However, if you "ease" it to another controller with another one
(controller), it behaves as well as can be expected from winblows.
It went like this:
1. Install cheap IDE controller card to first motherboard.
2. Boot and then shut down (winblows probably won't need any driver
disks.
3. Move controller card & win2k hd to new mobo.  HD is on the controller
card for boot.
4. Repeat #2
5. Uninstall controller card and attach HD to mobo's controller.
6. Boot and it should work. It did for me at least.