decent curriculum (was: class this Wed!)

Sun, 1 Sep 2002 05:07:10 -0700 (MST)

Am 30. Aug, 2002 schwätzte Michelle Lowman so:

> SAIR gets a bug up their butt when a non-SAIR certified person teaches
> their curriculum, and they insist that you buy it in order to use it.
> The knowledge matrix is a good idea, but you don't want to say that it
> is from SAIR. LPI doesn't have the same restrictions, and they have
> similar exam objectives.

Neither is under a free documentation license ( I haven't looked recently,
though, so maybe something changed ).

> I think there are two directions we could go with the curriculum:
> 1) General Linux workstation knowledge for people migrating from Windows

This is the rôle we're trying to fill. Technophobes to somewhat clueful
end-users who've never used GNU/Linux.

> 2) Basic Linux system administration (would be more along the lines of a
> certification-track class)

While we intend to go here, it won't be this time around.

> Which direction we take would depend on what kind of audience is
> interested in the classes. What do you think?

We are targetting the introductory users.

We have lots of people starting to use GNU/Linux, but we haven't got the
support network they need to bootstrap themselves. 'RTFM' and 'google for
it' aren't what the new people need. Those who can bootstrap themselves are
more likely to make it anyway. We need to move beginners into the
intermediate area, or at least into acquainted.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  Motorraeder toeten nicht. Motorraeder werden getoetet.