Exchange2000 to Linux based

shadow plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 17:41:51 -0700

tickticker,

> This client is aware that calendaring and other exchange 'features' will go
> bye-bye.  I proposed this as simple pop mail, just send and receive.  there
> are about 10-15 domains receiving mail on this server and I don't think that
> will be an issue.

This simplifies your life considerably.  Just about any standard
STMP/POP3/IMAP solution will fit the bill.

> As for ldap, I concur that this is the way to go, but that is also because of
> other issues (programmability being one important one) They also have an
> AS/400 that must stay and they want the as/400 logon to also autocreate the
> mailbox.  they have several competent as/400 and php/asp programmers on hand.
> I don't need to know how the autocreate function will work, just that it's
> relatively easy to implement.  With LDAP that shouldn't be a problem.  I'm
> more concerned with saving the email that is in the inbox (I could just have
> them all download what is up there and if it's not downloaded, it must not be
> important enuff to keep and the bofh in me will have fun deleting a couple
> gigs of email), and NOT having to manually add the user accounts from the get
> go and automate it after that.  I will investigate the tools mentioned.

You might want to check out Cyrus POP3/IMAP and Exim SMTP.  Cyrus can be
very difficult to set up depending on what you want, but has some real
advantages over Courier and the rest.

1.  The Cyrus IMAP Aggregator transparently distributes IMAP and POP
mailboxes across multiple servers. Unlike many other systems for load
balancing IMAP mailboxes, the aggregator allows users to access
mailboxes on any of the IMAP servers in the system.

2.  The Cyrus IMAP server is generally intended to be run on sealed
servers, where normal users are not permitted to log in.

3.  The server supports access control lists on mailboxes and shared
IMAP folders and storage quotas on mailbox hierarchies.

Exim on the other hand is very easy to setup and use.  It's design goal
was to just be an SMTP MTA.  All of the complicated add-on features,
such as spam filters, databases, scripting languages, etc. have been
left out.  Exim simply passes the messages either to another SMTP server
or a local pipe for processing.  This allows you to use external
programs for mail processing for the extra features.  (As an example, I
setup Bogofilter to filter SPAM for ALL of my users in a few hours with
the generic tarball from ESR.)

--
Chris Lewis
shadow@digitalnirvana.com