Open Office

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
29 Oct 2002 21:04:25 -0700

On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 13:31, Kimi Adams wrote:
> As many of you know, about a month ago I installed Mandrake 8.2 on my
> desktop, mostly out of frustration and need.  My administrator did the
> work. I have struggled with learning things over, after 20 successful
> years of MS'ing.
>
> The problem is that when I launch Open Office, from the favorites menu,
> it takes a minute or two or more to get past the opening logo screen.
> THEN as if it's not bad enough, it either just stops opening after the
> logo screen goes away or when it actually opens the program, the cursor
> stops blinking and it suddenly closes within the first few seconds of
> being open.
>
> I have not researched this issue, but I have talked to two other people
> that say it seems like a bad install or that maybe resources are messing
> with it.
>
> Any suggestion that will actually fix the problem?
-----
I don't know that this will help but...

I dl'd the 00 binary when it was first released. Then I dl'd 1.01
version and installed that. Things were good but it was still a bit slow
to launch.

When I installed the redhat 8 (updated over 7.3 which was over 7.2 which
was over 7.1), I learned to delete the .kde & .gnome user directories
first which helped the upgrade I think but I lost the menu items & panel
launchers. I was able to put them back in KDE without too much fuss but
for the heck of it, I decided to delete the entire OO shooting match and
install OO from the redhat 8 distro.

WOW - the improvement was astounding. It launched quick, it put the OO
app in the menu's and in the panel and everything seems so much improved
it's amazing.

Craig