CISSP Certification

Gary Nichols plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
27 Oct 2002 21:36:02 -0700

On Sun, 2002-10-27 at 19:36, Sundar Narayanasamy wrote:
> I have been thinking about doing some information systems/computer
> security certification and came across CISSP. Is it any good? Is it the
> only one or there are other competitive certifications as well, in the
> security field.

The CISSP is pretty much THE certification for infosec right now, but it
really depends on WHY you want the certification.

If you're an ISO or a CSO of a company, a professional security
consultant, or someone that will generally be talking to a lot of suits
then yes - you want the CISSP.

If you're more of an operations person, you might want to check out
SANS' GSEC series of certs.  They are a  good all-the-way-around
security cert.  You can also do a lot of vendor security certs - Cisco,
Checkpoint, etc.

If you're a security professional by trade, then you need to join the
American Society of Industrial Security (ASIS - asis.org) and attend the
meetings.  They are quite good.  :-)  Sticker shock warning: dues are
$150 a year - but worth every penny.  The contacts alone are worth it.

--
Gary Nichols RHCE
http://www.linuxchimp.com