X starting at startup--Thank You

MCR plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 20:57:49 -0700 (PDT)

I would like to thank all of you that helped me out
with getting X not to start up everytime I start the
computer.

  When I went through to work on this I could not get
the changing of the run levels to make a difference.
I tried a few different ones, and with each X kept
starting.  What finally worked was I had a file called
S99gdm and it was this file that made a difference. I
renamed this file, and that kept X from starting.

  In regards to X on a server, this is because I am
still somewhat new to linux, and I like to have X to
lean on if it is needed.  There are a few graphical
configuration tools that I have in X, and just in case
the command line gets me too confused, I like to have
it there just in case.

                                    mike