Up2date froze on me.

Michael Havens plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:47:49 -0700

Geeeeee. I like the man pages.
Let's see if I understand this correctly
- You don't need the '-' between all of the options?
- __* is comparable to *.* and I am removing everything in the RPM directory.

Then I tried to find out what 'up2date -u' does but the man pages say:

[bmike1@localhost bmike1]$ man up2date -u
man: invalid option -- u
man, version 1.5j
usage: man [-adfhktwW] [section] [-M path] [-P pager] [-S list]
        [-m system] [-p string] name ...
  a : find all matching entries
  c : do not use cat file
  d : print gobs of debugging information
  D : as for -d, but also display the pages
  f : same as whatis(1)
  h : print this help message
  k : same as apropos(1)
  K : search for a string in all pages
  t : use troff to format pages for printing
  w : print location of man page(s) that would be displayed
      (if no name given: print directories that would be searched)
  W : as for -w, but display filenames only

  C file   : use `file' as configuration file
  M path   : set search path for manual pages to `path'
  P pager  : use program `pager' to display pages
  S list   : colon separated section list
  m system : search for alternate system's man pages
  p string : string tells which preprocessors to run
               e - [n]eqn(1)   p - pic(1)    t - tbl(1)
               g - grap(1)     r - refer(1)  v - vgrind(1)
[bmike1@localhost bmike1]$
==

Which is merely the commands with format and valid options.

Whomever told me that I don't seem to want to learn how to use this OS the
problem I was experiencing is that I didn't know how to access the man pages.
Seriously, right now, on my lap, is lying a Red Hat Certified Engineer Linux
Exam Cram book. So please believe me when I say that I want to learn it. To
bad it is for RH6.2 Are there many differences between 6.2 and 7.3?

--