X starting at startup

Scott plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 08:34:16 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, MCR wrote:

> I have recently installed Debian on a box that I am
> using as a server.  I would rather not have X start
> every time I restart the server.  I would perfer to
> manually started as it is needed.  However, I do not
> recall how to configure it so it does not start up.  I
> would like to have the command line login, rather than
> graphical.  Could someone be so kind as to remind me
> how to go about this?
>
>                          mike

this is easy to fix.  Open up your /etc/inittab file with your favorite
editor.  Find the line (usually near the begining) that looks like this:

id:3:initdefault:

Note the number.  3 (at least in RH) denotes multiuser mode.  If I wanted
to make it come up in graphical mode (X), I would change that number to 5.
In your case, it is already 5 (assuming debian uses the same numbering
scheme).  Change this to 3 and save the changes.  Upon next reboot, the
box will come up in multiuser mode but not in graphical mode.

scott