isa nic on red hat 7.3

Dan plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 23:41:39 -0700

New topic from newbie:

I am unable to force red hat 7.3 to recognize my ISA NIC.

The process went like this:

1  I logged in as root
2  I ran ifconfig which showed my loopback address of 127.0.0.1, but no
mention of eth0
3  I ran netconfig to set the proper static IP address, mask, default
gateway, and name server
4  I ran ifconfig which still only showed my loopback address
5  I ran ifconfig eht0 irq 10 io_address 0x100 10.0.0.5 netmask 255.0.0.0
broadcast 10.255.255.255
The error message read:
irq: SIOCGIFMAP: No such device
io_address: Host name lookup failure
ipconfig: '--help' gives usage information

The NIC is old (supporting only 10Mbps) and is an ISA slot.

Do I have any hope?
What are my options?

Due to recient threads, I must state that I believe this message is sent in
plain text.  I do not wish to enter into that thread, but I support the
notion of plain text email.

unable to connect to home network,

dan