HTML.

Voltage Spike plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 18:25:50 -0700

On Monday, October 21, 2002, at 01:32 PM, Bob George wrote:

> FWIW: I think the whole etiquette/format/top-post/trimming war flares
> up on every LUG list at least twice a year.

Not just here, but in Usenet as well.  I cannot recall the number of
times I have seen the top-post / bottom-post argument.  The general
formula is:

A) We're older and set the rules, and we say bottom-post

B) We're younger and Outlook Express positions the cursor at the top,
so we top-post

A) It positions the cursor at the top because that is where you start
deleting stuff

B) It is also faster to read through a thread if you don't have to
scroll

A) You wouldn't have to scroll if you took the time to trim your
messages

B) I am anonymous and have no respect for others, so you cannot force
me to change

I just thought I would get that out the way.  Other items to quarrel
about:

* Including a PGP/GPG signature

* Spelling and grammar

* How to handle attachments (link or include)

* Quoting style

* Not using "-- " to start a signature block

* Length of a person's signature

* Off-topic discussions (ring a bell, anyone?)

In other words, people argue quite frequently because very few
individuals have developed the capacity to admit that they are, in
fact, incorrect.

If this one (HTML versus plain-text) really heats up, the marshmallows
are on me!  However, the topic looks dead already, so I'll go back to
other forms of amusement. :-)

- --
                                                            Voltage Spike
       ,,,