I need some help please???

Ted Gould plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
19 Oct 2002 20:34:53 -0700

--=-Po4f/fU+nVS7a+D8yLTU

> This link, found by googling for "usb floppy linux compaq presario=20
> laptop", mentions for one model that you mount it as /dev/sda.=20
>  http://www.perpetualpc.net/Presario.html   Might be worth hunting=20
> through google a bit.

This is correct, and there's even a reason :)  Most of your USB drives
use the USB mass storage driver.  Basically this is SCSI over USB.  This
qualifies for flash card readers, floppies, and even hard drives.  So,
because they are using the SCSI driver, and not the floppy driver, the
device is not fd0, but sda.

You should also be careful with this a little bit, because let's say
that you put a flash card reader on your computer and a floppy drive
(both USB).  One will become sda and the other sdb.  How do I know which
is which?  Well, the only ways that I know is to a) look at /proc or b)
watch your /var/log/messages to look at the initialization.  If someone
knows a better way to do this, I'd love to hear it :)

Also, you shouldn't need to load a driver for any of this.  I know that
atleast on Yellowdog 2.2 (which is basically Redhat 7.2 for PPC) most of
the USB stuff is handled in the hotplugger.  I would doubt that there
was a regression on this for Redhat 8.0.

		Have fun,
			Ted

--=-Po4f/fU+nVS7a+D8yLTU

--=-Po4f/fU+nVS7a+D8yLTU--