KLEZ Virus

Michelle Lowman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
18 Oct 2002 08:08:43 -0700

For the average "illiterati" desktop user, there is no reason to go out
and grab every update and every new version that comes out, especially
if the user is not running services out the wazoo. For the average user,
using a tool like Bastille Linux to lock down the machine and
periodically running chkrootkit should get it.

Those who feel as though they are compelled to upgrade whether they want
to or not are those who have an extremely persistent and annoying little
pop-up box on their desktop telling them it's time to update, and those
people should try using ZoneAlarm to see whether their system is being
"updated" without their permission.

For those who ARE running web servers, ftp servers, etc., you SHOULD be
concerned about every security bulletin that comes down the pike, and
you should get used to periodically tinkering with the kernel when
necessary.

I believe that the more people we can get to try Mandrake, Red Hat,
Debian, whatever as their FIRST operating system, the more people will
never even try Windows because they'll see it as a waste of money and
resources. We're still at the stage where most Linux users are Windows
converts, but there is a huge market out there (and I am certainly not
looking down my nose at them) of people who really want a computer and
don't think they can afford it. We need to get the message out to them
that they can get a very inexpensive computer with a very powerful
operating system loaded with useful applications, and that it comes with
an entire community of people who will help them for free.