Lock file?

Brian Cluff plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
17 Oct 2002 23:58:50 -0700

Lock files are used for several reasons, but in a nut shell they are
files that are written in a certain place known to the a program to let
other instances of the program (or other programs) know that it is
running already.
OR a lock file often times is used to let programs know that a file is
being use and not to touch it till the lock files is gone again.

Anyway, every once in a while a program can crash or exit in such a way
that a lock file does get deleted.  When that happens, bad things can
happen.  Removing the lock file(s) clears up any problem(s) instantly
you might be having.   Just make sure the lock file isn't being used
first, or bad things can happen.

Brian Cluff