MS2LINUX - some links

Scott H plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 13:56:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,all.  In my quest to replace MS with Linux and
Open Source within a mid-sized corp, I came
across a couple of things I want to pass on.

First, what seems to be a better MS Exchange
server replacement: Bynari's "Insight Server". I
had been looking at "Communigate Pro" from
stalker.com, but this product is still in beta
and has a number of holes left to be filled in.
I've grown frustrated trying to work through the
issues, and waiting for the completed product.
Bynari (bynari.net) offers "Insight Server" and
the "Insight Connector for Outlook" which have
been availiable since May. Insight Server will
run on Intel, and IBM Mainframes. Bynari is
partnering with Alt-N Technologies to produce a
server that will run on Windows, as well.
Insight Server has been through a few versions
and patches already, and seems way ahead of
Communigate Pro. I'll be testing it soon in my
lab.

Second, on Bynari's web site I found an excellent
whitepaper for any MS System Admin considering a
migration from a MS network to a Linux-based
system.  It's called "Life after Windows NT
Server 4.0: An Alternative IT Infrastructure".
It's a great explanation of the issues
surrounding such a migration and how to solve
them by going to Linux instead of Win2K and AD:
http://www.bynari.net/Life_After_Windows.pdf

There are other articles discussing MS-Linux
issues and replacing MS Exchange at
http://www.bynari.net/whitepapers.html