Scanner (is this title too generic?)

Robert N. Eaton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 08:25:01 -0400

On Wednesday 16 October 2002 04:50 pm, you wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a scanner on one of my Linux boxes, using SANE.
> I wasn't able to do it so, I read the manuals on both the web site and my
> harddrive.
> The setup seems pretty straightfoward, if you have a SCSI or USB scanner.
> I wasn't able to find any documentation for parallel-port stuff so I
> was if anyone here knows how to make it work.
>
> I'm running a Umax Astra 600P, which works fine in windows (gack)
> but it would be nice to have working with Linux.
>
> Oh, if anyone cares (if it even matters), I also have an Epson ES-600C,
> but, the stuff I found on the web says that it needs a
> bi-directional parallel cable, which I don't have.
Have you visited www.mostang.com/sane/mail.html ?
This site has all the necessary info__you just have to _find_ it.
Additionally, the info here presupposes a high order of expertise.

I tried hard to get my parallel scanner to work, but in the end I
found a $45 Umax Astra 1220S scsi scanner at Fry's.  The generic
scsi card included didn't like my box, but an Adaptec 2906 worked fine.

This "solution" cost less me than $100.  It works very well with RH 7.3's
Sane, and pretty well with Mandrake 8.1's Kooka (Why Mandrake opts not
to use Sane, I'll never understand.)

Bob Eaaton