Services Not Resolving?

Tue, 15 Oct 2002 23:55:03 -0700 (MST)

Am 15. Oct, 2002 schwätzte Robert Bushman so:

> When I do netstat -l, my service ports don't
> resolve to names.  The currently most troubling
> outcome is that exim can't find port 25.
>
> 2002-10-15 18:08:01 181R0O-0001Kk-00 TCP service "smtp" not found
>
> /etc/services is in place and correct (I
> overwrote it from a working machine to be sure).

It's readable for everyone?

Is there an environmental variable that might affect it?

I presume UNIX sockets are working or you wouldn't be able to get on the air
at all.

Is your networking hosed? Didja lose localhost? Do you have a firewall
blocking access? /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}?

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  A t-shirt a day keeps the noose (tie) away. - der.hans