Question for Carl Parish

Chris Feltner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 16:52:54 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Matt Alexander
Sent: 10/13/2002 6:47:23 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Question for Carl Parish

> On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Chris Feltner wrote:
>
> > Carl, I have a few questions for you regarding the steps that you have suggested.
>
> I'm not Carl, but I'll try to help out.
>
> > $ rpm -iv ./j2sdk-1_4_0_01-linux-i586.rpm
> >
> > QUESTION #1; I didn't have to install the rpm above, but the file is in
> > the directory that you said it would be in. Is everything still the way
> > it should be?
>
> Why didn't you have to install the RPM?  Is there something in /usr/java
> already?

Previously I had tried to install this rpm; however, I would keep getting a message saying; "read manifest failed, success" and I didn't understand what it ment. Needless to say I didn't even think to look in prescribed directory until I read Carl's web page.

However, I cannot use Java in Mozilla. The option isn't available to use. The words JAVA CONSOLE are on the tool bar, but the words aren't bold.

> > QUESTION #2; When I put vi /etc/profile.d I get colored characters and
> > no comand prompt, what should I do at this point, before I add the
> > following lines?
>
> /etc/profile.d is a directory.  You want to edit /etc/profile instead.  If
> you haven't used vi before, I would suggest you try the pico editor
> instead.  Pico is a little more intuitive to start off with, but I
> recommend you learn vi eventually.

I used /etc/profile.d because /etc/profile doesn't exist in my system.

Thank you for the reply,
Chris F.