MS2LINUX - Authentication basics

Tue, 8 Oct 2002 21:22:15 -0700 (MST)

Am 08. Oct, 2002 schwätzte Scott H so:

> >From: Bill Warner <wwarner@direct-alliance.com>:
> >I have been looking into this as well.  NIS
> works >in a way that you can basically store half
> your >passwd/shadow/group files on one central
> server.
>
> Half?  What do you mean "half"? I don't
> understand that.

I presume he means userland stuff on the server and system stuff locally.
root, bin, etc. need to stay on the local box.

> >Sort of an NFS for single files.
>
> Please explain this a bit, too?  I know what NFS
> is, but I don't understand how you mean this.

With NIS you're importing the files from the server. It's closer to DNS zone
transfers than NFS.

> >I am still looking into LDAP as an option.  The
> >only thing that I don't like about the Linux
> >authentication options is the fact that unlike
> >windows it typical applications don't maintain
> >the authentication, ... every time you start
> >a web browser you have to re-authenticate with
> >any servers there.  It makes for a difficult use
> >experience for the non techies.
> >Bill W
>
> Is this true for both NIS and LDAP?  Anyone know
> a way around this?  (Other than configuring
> various client software to store passwords?)  I
> want my clients to be able to access shared
> folders, pass through the proxy server, attach to
> email, etc - ideally just logging on once to the
> network.

Kerberos is the main mechanism for that. Talk to Paul Thu and he'll help you
pronounce it properly :).

Anyone out there want to give a presentation ( or two ) on kerberos or LDAP?

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  It's up to the reader to make the book interesting.