Spam.

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 02 Oct 2002 00:08:33 -0400

Hi Bill,

Let me tell you a story of the sysadmin and the $10 hosting account
business. . .

The company I worked for had servers - over 50 of them - and we resold
some of them to other businesses, who sold $9.95 web & e-mail hosting
accounts.  We were a prime target for spammers - Joe Spammer spends $10,
tests a few e-mails, then whamo!!! out comes the deluge of spam.

Our servers were legitimate and the mail they processed was authentic.
It was legitimate mail (technically speaking) and should be allowed to
be processed and delivered.  We had no open relays (yes, we were tested
by about every RBL group out there).

The problem is in the content of the e-mail.  This is much like the
highway.  We pay our licensing fee to the state (fee to the ISP), and we
load up our car and drive (send e-mail).  How can you tell that the
person in the car committed some crime (violated AUP)?  You can't, until
someone else complains.  Make the roads toll-roads, like California's
private highways (require SSL), and all you've done is slow down the
system.

Granted, some spam comes from Joe home user who uses Spammer Pro(TM)
e-mail software that turns their PC into an MTA and spams away.  Your
ideas will probably stop these users dead.  If your HELO domain is
required to reverse lookup to your IP address and your Digital
Certificate must be legitimate, then this will probably stop.  Then Joe
Spammer sends his business to China - just like they do now.

Then there are the spam-friendly ISP's that cater to the spammers.  How
do you block them?  Reject their Cert?  By what criteria?  A Realtime
Black List?  Isn't that what we do now?

What I see here is the opportunity to sell an e-mail server appliance.
We used to have Linux Firewall's on a floppy (I know we still do), now
we have little black box routers from D-Link and LinkSys.  What about a
simple mail server appliance with a web GUI where you feed it your ISP's
info, it filters your mail based on the ANTI-SPAM HOW-TO posted last
week, and your mail client receives everything through it.  How much
would you spend to avoid 99% of all spam?  $50?  $100?  Anyone think we
can fit it on a single floppy?

If anyone sells my idea to LinkSys, D-link or 3Com, I would appreciate
the approriate credit, and a kickback.

George