Building on Knoppix

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 12:28:06 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Derek Neighbors on 11/25/2002 10:12 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ I think its a matter of getting the 'source' for the ISO.  Then you add
\_ what you need and rebuild the ISO.
\_
\_ i.e. If I understand it correctly an ISO is a like a 'binary' program.  In
\_ that you dont modify the binary.  Instead you alter the source and
\_ recreate the program.

Nah, it's simpler than that.  Well, for some versions of simpler.

mount cd
cp -a /mnt/cd /tmp/myhappytestdir
umount cd
eject
[edit files in /tmp/myhappytestdir]
mkisofs -rtm /tmp/myhappytestdir
mount -o loop mynewdisk.iso /tmp/spot   # to test
cdrecord -rtm mynewdisk.iso
reboot

It might work best if you have a rewriteable disk until you get the
hang of the burn + bootableness.

YMMV.

To be pendantic, the cdrom is in an iso9660 format, akin to ext2,
ext3, reiserfs and so on.  There's nothing inherently magical about it
other than if you're careful, everyone and their brother can read it
successfully on their drive.  AFIAK, there's no reason other than
common sense that you couldn't write ext2 or other fs to cdrom.

David
	Real programmers "cp /dev/audio a.out" and whistle into the
	mike.   -- evilgwynie