Forcing a 10/100 NIC to run at 10

Bill Nash plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 15:08:47 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Scott H wrote:

> I have a Compaq DeskPro 4000 with an integrated
> Netelligent (TLAN) 10/100 Ethernet card.  I can
> see from the hub it's plugged into that it is
> running at 100Mb.  All the other machines on this
> hub are running at 10.  I am suspicious that this
> is causing some kinds of problems with
> communications between machines on my LAN.  Is
> there a tool that can be used to hard code the
> NIC to run at 10?

>From 'man ifconfig'

      -  media type

	Set the physical port or medium type to be used by the
device.  Not all devices can change this setting, and those that can vary
in what values they support.  Typical values for type are 10base2 (thin
Ethernet), 10baseT (twisted-pair 10Mbps Ethernet), AUI (external
transceiver) and so on.  The special medium type of auto can be used to
tell the driver to auto-sense the media.  Again, not all drivers can do
this.

Adding a media flag with the value 10baseT to your ifconfig entry might
facilitate this. Note, as documented, this may not work with all cards.
Push come to shove, I think I've got a 10meg NIC you can borrow. =)

- billn