Listserv, news server and IRC somewhat OT

charlie bullen plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 07:47:13 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0083_01C28C7B.35F96CC0

I have a friend that wants to have a moderated mailing list, a private =
newsgroup and the ability to host chats online with some employees all =
over the country.=20

They have a T1 with some static IP addresses available and some old =
boxes, AMD 450, P233, that could easyly be loaded with linux. I've set =
up several apache web servers, but never majordomo or a news server. As =
to IRc, I don;t even have an idea of a program to look for to run on one =
of the above mentioned boxes.

Oh, I forgot to mention, she wants this all operational by Monday at 4PM =
as she has already scheduled her people to be online and chating then. =
The mail topics will then be how to sign up for the list and how to =
access her news group.

So as I see it , the options are to configure a box to run off their T1 =
with the above mentioned services, or find third party solutions.

I've found a sorce for the chat program, which I have installed on a =
server that I administer so that is no real problem, just reinstall on =
one of their boxes an hook up to their T1, but I'm stumped as to the =
listserve and news server. Are those services dificult to set up?

Any ideas as to third party solutions also appreciated.
Thanks

Charlie

------=_NextPart_000_0083_01C28C7B.35F96CC0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have a friend that wants to have a =
moderated=20
mailing list, a private newsgroup and the ability to host chats online =
with some=20
employees all over the country. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>They have a T1 with some static IP =
addresses=20
available and some old boxes, AMD 450, P233, that could easyly be loaded =
with=20
linux. I've set up several apache web servers, but never majordomo or a =
news=20
server. As to IRc, I don;t even have an idea of a program to look for to =
run on=20
one of the above mentioned boxes.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Oh, I forgot to mention, she wants this =
all=20
operational by Monday at 4PM as she has already scheduled her people to =
be=20
online and chating then. The mail topics will then be how to sign up for =
the=20
list and how to access her news group.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So as I see it , the options are to =
configure a box=20
to run off their T1 with the above mentioned services, or find third =
party=20
solutions.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've found a sorce for the chat =
program, which I=20
have installed on a server that I administer so that is no real problem, =
just=20
reinstall on one of their boxes an hook up to their T1, but I'm stumped =
as to=20
the listserve and news server. Are those services dificult to set=20
up?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Any ideas as to third party solutions =
also=20
appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Charlie</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0083_01C28C7B.35F96CC0--