netatalk and osx

Ted Gould plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
14 Nov 2002 23:07:57 -0700

--=-S7QB3gN/S8tbL/fmiJJg

> it keeps griping at me about file names being too long and gives me=20
> errors when i try to transfer..
> but lo and behold, i can copy them back and forth to osx boxes with no=20
> problems at all..
> this had been driving me nutz for a few days..
> any ideas from those expierenced w/ netatalk?

I don't think that netatalk has been upgraded to handle longer than
32-character file names (which used to be the MacOS max.)  I haven't
seen a version that can handle the longer file names.  I don't think
that Apple has extended the protocol for longer names, they have all
gone to WebDAV in Mac OS X.

Another option that you may try is setting up WebDAV on your Linux box.=20
It has lots of other benefits besides just transferring your MP3s over.=20
MacOS X has all kinds of WebDAV built in.  If you just want to share on
your MacOS box you can use a utility like cadaver to pull the WebDAV
share over to Linux.  There is also a kernel level filesystem that will
do WebDAV if your interested.  Nautilus will too.

> if i strap a buttered piece of bread to the back of my cat, which side=20
> will he land on if i drop him..?

This would of course depended on the distance that you dropped the
cat/toast from.  If it is a distance above about 10 feet, the cat will
be in total control and land feet first.  If it is a shorter distance,
I'm betting on the toast :)

		Have fun,
			Ted

--=-S7QB3gN/S8tbL/fmiJJg