SCC presentation

Michael Havens plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 23:07:19 -0700

Buddy, Buddy,

I volunteer! I'm not sure if I would be much of a help or more of a leech at
the present time. I would be a leech in that I would be learning more than
contributing. But if you wouldn't mind I will be there.
--
:-)~Mike~(-:

ps I'm going to bring my system tomorrow for two reasons.

1- Configure the Visor
2- Following is some advise I have been getting about some sound problems. The
final solution which works is that I soft-boot to get the sound working. I
wasa hoping you could figure something more practical out. It has not been
stopping lately so....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On Wednesday 13 November 2002 19:03, Linux Gazette wrote:

> If the file exists but the driver is not initializing, it could mean the
> hardware is flaky, or Red Hat is choosing the wrong driver, or the
> device is finicky and needs some special initialization (from a Windows
> driver).

You maybe need to start the alsasound script out of /etc/rc.d/init.d/. It
loads ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) modules and initializes the
sound system. Then KDE's artsd (from which the error comes) can open the
dsp device. It seems that artsd has a low timeout value for opening the
device and the kernel module loader is to slow to load all sound modules.

Modules -- for those who don't know -- are like "device drivers". The Linux
kernel provides an mechanism that automagically loads the modules on
demand, e.g. if the sound device is opened for the first time.

If you start KDE, then logout and restart it, the error should disappear
and artsd should initialize correctly, using the sound device.