Copy iso Disk

Bill Nash plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:09:32 +0000 (UTC)

On 12 Nov 2002, Carl Parrish wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 22:26, DARREN BROWN wrote:
> > The if=/dev/cdrom is the CD inside the CDROM containing the data I wish to copy.
> >
> > Then what is of=/target/dir/file.iso?
> > If I understand, file.iso is the data that is copied to this directory.
> > If so, can I then copy the data to a CD burner?  Like a USB burner? HP....
> >

> The only think I'm a bit unclear of here is if I'd need to then run
> mkisofs on file.iso

	If you're using dd with the cdrom as your source, no. You're
duplication the contents, which are already in iso format. mkisofs is for
making an ISO from a file structure that *isn't* in ISO9660 format. My
example before of using mkisofs on the mounted file system, would work for
replication of the iso, since you're just creating a new one from a
mounted file system, but as has been pointed out, won't maintain
boot sectors and the like.

- billn