RH 8.0 woes

Lynn David Newton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 19:02:54 -0700

  >> o In the process of resolving that one I discovered
  >> that I had run the root file system to 100% full.
  >> I am able to reduce it only to 96%. ...

  daz> one of the problems with newer distros
  daz> (specifically the DE's). I use gentoo witha 3G /
  daz> partition (no seperate /usr partition). always
  daz> at least 2G used (gnome2, kde3.1beta2, etc).

My system is about 2.5 years old, has one 20GB drive,
and is badly in need of a bunch more storage. It also
has only 256MB of memory, which I used to think was
cool.

  >> o Apparently this new window manager does not provide a
  >> way to add to or to customize menus. What foresight.

  daz> i believe the philosophy here is 'minimalism'.
  daz> not that I agree, but...

The word 'minimalism' does not exist in the vocabulary
of someone who has been an Emacs user since 1987.

  >> mount the CDs in my digital camera using USB. I
  >> now have a much later kernel, and am hoping that
  >> this will work. So far that still hasn't worked
  >> either.

  daz> what kind of camera? was it working in 7.2?

A Sony Mavica CD1000, with 8cm CD-R disks. No, it did
not work as a USB device in 7.2. I can mount the disks
as ordinary CDs, though.

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ