split/Perl question

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 14:24:09 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Mike Starke on 11/11/2002 16:13 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ I did try David's suggestion to use tr///. Good suggestion in why worry/code
\_ against something that may not exists. Out of 9,000 entries, I have 10 bad ones(lines).
\_
\_ Ten out of 9,000 lines I can deal with.

I once watched someone trying to go through three 80k record delimited
files looking for 'bad records' using vgrep.  Bad data was at 2-5%.

I tossed him a quick perl script and he was thankful.  You'd think
programmers would think "hey, this is a pita, let's make the computer
do it" more often, but sadly, that's not the case.

\_ David, BTW CPAN did not have the Magic module. :-) You must guard it
\_ closely.

It's sort of a self referential module; you can only use Magic; if you
already have it.  :-)

David