Big (> 137GB) Drive Support

David Mandala plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
06 Nov 2002 20:14:02 -0700

You thoughts are for the most part correct. However, it is possible for
some machine to refuse to boot on big hard drives, in that case even a
small partition will not work.

For example when I hacked my TIVO's I put a 120G HD in my old computer
to prep it for the TIVO, the machine would not boot until I turned off
that HD in the bios completely! Since Linux does not use the PC's BIOS
for anything past the initial boot once I was in Linux all was fine,
Linux saw the HD and I was able to prep it. But I would not have been
able to ever boot from in in my PC.

The Linux BIOS project is quite nice, if you are using a mother board
that they support you can get a sub 5 second boot time into Linux vs the
up to 1 minute boot time of some PC's.

Cheers,

Davidm