esd/xine

Bryce C plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
04 Nov 2002 17:09:13 -0700

--=-o+I0MmhISaAsEvVZtpMP

Can someone please help me?  First off, this is an x client setup with
an audio cable coming all the way from the server to the client's
speakers.  The client computer itself has no audio capabilities
whatsoever and buying a card is not an option.  When I try and use esd
for sound in -unix mode, no apps (being displayed at the client) can
connect.  I have to switch to -public -tcp mode to connect which is
great except, the XINE esd plugin doesn't support using a server and
esddsp won't work with XINE either.  Can someone please help me here?  I
want to be able to play sounds etc through esd but I have to use tcp
server mode because unix socket mode rejects the requests.
1. How can I get esd -unix to accept connections from XINE, xmms, etc.
or 2. How can I get XINE to talk to esd -tcp?
or 3. Anyone else have a suggestion for a sound daemon besides arts
which besides Gnome not playing well with, does the same thing.
--=20
Bryce Chidester
Network Administrator
CoBryce Communications