A+ Prep - was Potential PLUG Presentation?

Jeffrey Pyne plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 12:26:06 -0700

Y'know, that's what I always thought a "Network Administrator" was, too.
But when the company for whom I work had a job opening for a desktop support
technician, we got a ton of resumes from people who listed "Network
Administrator" as a job title for jobs that consisted of troubleshooting and
repairing PCs-- in environments where the PCs were connected to a network.
In interviews, several of these folks didn't seem to understand even basic
LAN stuff (e.g. DHCP, DNS), or even know what an IP address is.  To me,
"Network Administrator" implies that you understand "networking" (i.e.
routing, switching, the OSI model, subnetting, ethernet, etc.), but I get
the impression that not everyone agrees with that definition.  Maybe there
should be an RFC that defines a standard for job titles (Support Technician,
Network Administrator, Network Engineer, Systems Administrator, Systems
Engineer, etc.).  :)

~Jeff